The History of Trinity Lutheran Church
Lutherans from Germany began to settle in St. Charles County in the middle part of the nineteenth century. In 1848, the congregation now known as Immanuel Lutheran Church was formed in St. Charles to meet the needs of these immigrants. As time passed, the congregation grew, and since Christian Education was so important to those early Lutherans, established five district schools. One of these schools, “Number 2”, was to be situated to meet the needs of the members “in the prairie.” On August 25, 1862, the good news was announced that a teacher had accepted the Call.
Thirteen years later, plans were made for a church building for the Prairie District Lutherans. On August 14, 1875, the members of Immanuel Lutheran Church, St. Charles, living in the Prairie District, were given permission to build their own church.
On November 13, 1875, it was decided to advise the members of the Prairie District to organize themselves into a separate congregation. “The German Evangelical Lutheran Trinity Congregation in Point Prairie, St. Charles County, Missouri” was organized by the adoption of a charter and the election of a Board of Elders. The new church building of Trinity Lutheran Church was dedicated with two festival services on the Feast of the Holy Trinity, Sunday, June 11, 1876. The cost of the building amounted to $4,761.20.
October 8, 1876, the congregation in Point Prairie upon its desire and request, was granted a peaceful release by the mother congregation in St. Charles (Immanuel Lutheran), and so began on that date, the independent existence of Trinity Lutheran Church. A resolution to build a parsonage was passed on January 17, 1877.
Trinity Lutheran congregation became a member of the Missouri Synod in 1888. The decision to join synod was made on September 2nd, and the application for membership was favorably acted on in the Western District Convention in Altenburg, Missouri, in October 1888.
Over the years, many changes have taken place even though the present church continues to serve the congregation after over 140 years. In 1919, an extensive remodeling was undertaken at which time the pulpit was moved to its present location, the chancel was remodeled and the outside walls were stuccoed. During World War I, English Services were begun to supplement the regular German Services. The German services were eliminated in 1939. The parsonage, built in 1877 was remodeled once before being destroyed by fire in 1936. It was replaced by the present structure in the same year. For the 75th Anniversary in 1951, the church basement and restrooms were added. Another extensive remodeling was carried out in 1992. An extension was added to the back of the church which added new basement bathrooms and an office for the pastor and secretary. At this time a restroom was also added to the narthex. In addition, the chancel area was enlarged and the front entryway was made handicap accessible.
While we are settled between two rivers, Trinity continues to flow, showing the way to the Water of Life. We pray for God’s continued blessing on our work in our congregation, in our community and beyond. To God be the Glory!
Worship With Us
Trinity on Facebook
Upcoming Church Events